LOS ANGELES OFFICIALLY DECLARED A FAIR TRADE CITY
Fair Trade Los Angeles is proud to announce Los Angeles’ official designation as the largest Fair Trade City in North America, and the fourth largest in the world, behind Seoul, Rio, and London. We join over 45 other municipalities across the U.S. already recognized as Fair Trade Towns. The movement started in England in 2000 and has quickly spread. Today, there are over 2000 Fair Trade Towns worldwide.
On August 25th, 2020, Los Angeles City Council unanimously voted to become a Fair Trade City, celebrate World Fair Trade Day every year on the second Saturday in May, and take the necessary steps to include Fair Trade principles in City purchasing. The Fair Trade resolution and motion introduced by Councilmembers Paul Koretz, Mike Bonin, and Joe Buscaino encourages diverse businesses and organizations to increase the citywide understanding of Fair Trade, grow the availability of Fair Trade products among retailers, and add Fair Trade principles to the City government’s Environmentally-Preferable Purchasing Program.
. . .
Fair Trade LA launched the LA Campaign in 2014 to make the City of Los Angeles a Fair Trade Town, the largest in the US! A Fair Trade Town will allow its residents and tourists to conveniently shop local, green and fair. The international city of Los Angeles can support farmers, artisans, and producers in developing communities around the world by bringing fair trade products to its consumers.
Fair Trade Town’s criteria: The following criteria must be satisfied in order for Los Angeles to be recognized by Fair Trade Campaigns as a Fair Trade Town.
- Build a team to manage this campaign and educate about Fair Trade and engage others in this work.
- Identify 100 retail locations in LA that sell TWO Fair Trade products.
- Identity 100 community organizations that use or serve ONE Fair Trade product.
- Gain the attention of the media which will show how local action can deliver life-changing benefits to farmers, artisans, workers, and their communities. See the write up in the LA Progressive
- Secure a resolution from the city government, endorsing Fair Trade in its city.
Want to start you own campaign? Visit www.fairtradecampaigns.org
Want to discover local Fair Trade businesses in our Campaign? You can visit our #LAFairTradeFinds map.
Shop these Fair Trade logos //